RA Summer exhibition -a sneaky peak at my submission.
As some of you know I took up printing about 2 years ago and have been finding my way through the vast array of printing processes ever since. Last year I exhibited in Tokyo and entered a few print exchanges and exhibitions.
The opportunity to submit a piece for the Royal Academy Summer exhibition stirred my interest and has now given me a stomach ache for the past month!
From the wonder of ‘Should I have a go at this?’ to the confidence of ‘Why not?’ to the hysterics of ‘What on earth am I putting myself through this for?’, I’ve finally made my submission….with about a day and a half to spare until the deadline.
So let me give you a sneaky peak at what I’m entering and the process so far;
Here is a link to the RA Summer exhibition website.
First off I had to register my interest, which I did on 7th January, and then pay my entry fee. I am only submitting one piece (a print), but I have wondered since whether I should have submitted one of my seaweed pressings as well? Maybe next year?
Next step was to read all the instructions, then read them again and periodically over the past month to make sure I hadn’t missed anything!
Next decide on what print to submit. As I had left it quite late to apply (the deadline being 14th February) I looked back at past prints. I have had lots of positive feedback on my Drypoint Etching 'Fencline', so thought that would be a good piece to go with. As I wanted this to be a limited edition just for the summer exhibition I decided to re-etch the plate a little differently and ink it with less fussiness of some of my past variable prints (most of those also containing chine colle elements, as below).
So I etched the plate and booked a studio session at Handprinted for the week of 29th January.
(Above preparing inks, inking up the plate and finaly the plate wiped and cleaned up ready for printing.)
I got a few nice prints, but went home a bit disappointed and disheartened.
(Above first attempt, then way too light and finaly an okay print)
After looking at my prints a few toooo many times I re-booked the studio again for the next week, and had another crack at it.
I got some really great prints and this time felt better about the consistency of the edition. I also got a really good selection to choose from for the submission.
After choosing the best print, two days later (this morning) which involved a big family discussion. Along with further debates about title (Following the Fenceline), mount and frame size. My ‘IT guy’, also known as MrStu then digitised it and got it just the right size for submitting.
(Above large frame with wide mount, smaller frame with mount - not the final print, just a test one.)
So off it went as a digital submission (as yet unframed as we couldn’t decide on that) and now awaiting the verdict of round one in mid-March. If it gets selected we will resume the framing talks, but until then it will sit, tucked away with the first 12 of its edition of 40.
Fingers crossed!......Here it is.
Blog you later.....